Monday, August 22, 2011

Russian Textiles

A few years ago a friend got me into an amazing Russian Textiles show in San Francisco. It was seriously one of the coolest things I have ever seen. It was a private collection of a Russian Textiles enthusiast/historian. I am going to be a little bit of a scholarly textiles nerd today, but I wanted to share a couple of textiles from that show because they were truly amazing. I was lucky enough to walk away with a book featuring the beautiful textiles from the show. (And by lucky, I mean I couldn't pass up buying Susan Meller's book). She signed it too!

The most amazing part about the textiles featured below, is that they are well over a century old, and they still have the perfect balance of design and color that we would expect in today's market. Beauty never changes. The two textiles below are both art nouveau designs from the late 19th/early 20th century.





If these two pieces weren't enough on their own, notice how they used the second textile on the inside of a little boy's coat. It was such a beautiful surprise to open the jackets and see the stunning fabrics that graced the interiors.

This reminds me as a designer that for me, surprises are always pleasant ones.




No comments:

Post a Comment